I knit this sweater earlier this summer; it’s the Togue Pond Tank by Pam Allen that was part of the 2015 Kestrel Collection by Quince & Co. I purchased the whole pattern collection online for only $15 (It’s much more to buy individual patterns).
I love this kestrel yarn! As you can see in the first photo it has a “tape yarn” like quality- it’s flat and wide. It also has a nice sheen to it which linen doesn’t always have. The only downside to knitting with this yarn is that its a little more expensive but I ended up using one less skein than anticipated. I wasn’t able to exchange the extra skein so I’ll have to figure out a use for it.
The first part of this sweater was fast to knit. I modified my sweater to have a tubular cast on which takes a little more effort but it’s so worth it! The hem has short rows to make the back longer. It’s knit in the round and I knit the second size. The only challenge was that I was concerned about fit and it was difficult to gauge the size in the round but it ended up fitting well. I also added the ribbing to both armholes only to discover that they were too small :(. I was bummed but set it aside for a week and then re-worked the armholes with 6 extra rib stitches. Much better! I loved this sweater project and hope to knit another one someday soon maybe for myself next time.
Love this color!
Completed sweater: Modern details but very classic
I came across these hand-knit baby bloomers on Instagram recently and had to knit them because they are too sweet! They are from a wonderful, easy-to-follow pattern purchased at studio Misha & Puff. I knit two sizes so far and they required about the same amount of yarn as an adult hat. The pattern calls for Madelinetosh Vintage (super wash) yarn or something similar. I’m looking forward to knitting their “popcorn bonnet” next.
Size 6-12 months in Madelinetosh Vintage “Modern Fair Isle” color way -a favorite!
I recently found several skeins of nice yarn at a local thrift store- it was enough for a sweater. Some of the yarn seemed un-used and some had obviously been knitted and then re-round into a ball. I wanted to get the kinks out so I made skeins on my swift (if you don’t have one you could use a chair).
As you can see in the photos I used fabric scraps to secure the skeins in two places. I then submerged each skein into cold water with a gentle detergent- I used “The Laundress” wool wash. I let the yarn sit submerged for an hour or so and then used plastic clothing hangers to hang each skein from the shower to dry. I like to weigh the skeins down a little with a hanger at the bottom. After these were dry I put them back on the swift which was made possible by the two fabric ties (very important, otherwise tangles!). They were easily wound and are now ready for their second project.
Yarn on the right in original form and on the left 3 skeins knitted and de-knit again.
After unwinding via the swift (such a good investment if you knit a lot)
After hanging from the shower- the yarn is without kinks now!
After! I will feel a lot more confident knitting with this kink-free. What to make!